03 November 2008

fear is a funny thing

Fear is a funny thing. I wasn’t worried first thing after I fell. It was later, when I realized that I had injured myself and began to be afraid it wouldn’t heal that I became afraid. But my fear of being hurt is transferring to fear of riding my horse. I feel pretty confident on the ground. I can handle anything she throws at me, including breaking loose. She’ll stop to eat and let me catch her. She’s good that way. But under saddle I’m becoming more and more nervous about her spooking. Even longeing is becoming a problem for me if she gets distracted. Lisa has been telling me how much more athletic she is now and I’m afraid I may have too much horse. I find this new wanda a little frightening and intimidating-which is not the way I want to feel about my horse. I need to find a way to work within my comfort level while expanding it again. Perhaps we can do some work on the longe line and I can work on my seat. I don’t want to be afraid of my horse.

1 comment:

  1. Fear Of Equine feeling good...justifiable!
    But Equine feeling good and mashing of trampling human owner-Not so good!

    When I first got my Washashe mare, she was all about fear. I chose a bad location to board her as well...many handlers and no leadership. She was allways rearing and bolting and generally a mass of energy that would not be contained. Bad Horse Manners!

    Trainers told me that I should put a chain on her halter, and others told me many things the like. But I watched a gal at the stable work her horse completely rope and bridle free..mostly saddle free too..and it did intrigue me. She had trust in her horse and apparently- the Horse respected her!
    All this to say...She did "Natural horsemanship" and though I DO NOT endorse all of it, I DO endorse the respect part because it is thier language I learned to gain it with my mare.
    The ground games are great and thatis what taught me everything...and when she acts out, I refer back and so does she!
    It has invaluable to me to be able to read her body language...and MORE valuable is that-Now, she reads Mine too!

    ReplyDelete


ya'll come back now, ya hear?