27 March 2009

Into the Abyss

On Monday Wanda and I went to the veterinary hospital and had a gastroscopy done. By which I mean that I stood and watched while Wanda (who behaved like a model citizen-at least she behaves in public!) had a scope shoved up her nose and down her throat. We all peered at her stomach lining. Did you know the stomach actually changes color when the tissue that produces acid begins? It does. It's all very pale pink and then WHAM!, bright scarlet tissue begins. Now of all the tests we've had done, this was the one I was doing merely as a formality. So that when I went to sell her I could say with authority that we had done everything possible. You can therefore imagine my surprise when the vet pointed to several small spots and said, "Well, she's got ulcers."! Really?! I was glad I was leaning on the wall because I might have fallen over otherwise. She scored a 2 out of 4. The vet said she couldn't tell how much this might be affecting her back but that we would know in 2-3 weeks of treatment. We're now on day 3 of treatment and I'm more than a little curious to know if this has the been the problem. I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

We ran some blood work last week and she does not have myositis or lyme disease for those of you keeping score. The rest of her blood panel was normal as well.

And there you are Internet-ulcers. Who knew? If this does in fact clear up her back pain you may have to call the paramedics to pick me up from where I've fallen down in disbelief. We have another appointment with the vet clinic to go and get her abscessed tooth pulled next week. If all goes well she can come home that evening-if not, then she'll have to stay overnight and have surgery the following day.

On the bright side, my insurance has just sent us our first reimbursement check for the nuclear scan! So we're feeling a bit more positively about money. And, all this hauling back and forth to the vet clinic is really helping Wanda become accustomed to trailers and travelling. She may not stand still reliably at home but at the vet's office she's been a peach!

4 comments:

  1. Ulcers are quite common in horses, especially those that compete. I think I read 60% of performance horses have experienced ulcers? Glad to hear they got to the bottom of it. I keep my horse on Ranitidine to prevent them, especially when she has to endure the stress of competing.

    Thank GOD for insurance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea...good news of finding out some answers!
    You sound positive and that is a relief. There is always something to be gained in these experiences, it does seem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gastoguard is awesome but well worth the expense. i use the paste a few days in a row and it seems to help. jess does not do well on high powered antibiotics which cause her to quit eating. gastroguard brings her back to normal. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this really helps her pain. What a journey you are on with Wanda. Glad she is behaving so well and taking it all in stride.

    ReplyDelete


ya'll come back now, ya hear?