09 October 2009

Thinking and Wishing and Hoping and Praying

Lately, I've been missing horses. A lot. I'm not riding currently and I miss it. I'm also not volunteering at Little Bit Therapuetic Riding Center in classes right now so I don't even get to groom! My friends who have horses either live farther than I really want to drive, or they keep them at the old barn where I am persona non grata. I never really made the kind of friends at the new barn that you can call and say, "hey, I really miss horses, can I come and lean on yours for awhile?"

This has led me to spending a great deal of time on the internet, looking at sales ads and thinking about what I'm looking for in my next equine partner. Not that I'll be getting one for quite some time. Sadly, we're at LEAST a year out from that idea. My husband has agreed that I can start riding lessons again as soon as I'm feeling physically fit but he worries about me meeting time committments with both the horse and the baby at first. Which is a fair concern but not one I like to admit to. I will confess to you, Internet, that this is concern of mine as well. I want to be responsible horse owner and I can't afford to have someone work my horse multiple days a week so I need to be in a position to do so. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. In the meantime, I've been thinking and imagining my "perfect" horse.

No, not perfect in the sense of never misbehaves; but perfect in the sense of ideally suited to me. This becomes a far more interesting problem when I realize I'm not even sure what my life will be like in a year. I have no idea what kind of free time I'll have or be able to create for myself. I do know that I will want horses in my life.

I've had so many well-meaning people tell me to just give it up, that I won't be able to ride while my child is young, or even get back to riding at all! It seems like everyone knows someone who had a baby and disappeared forever from the equine world. I don't see that happening in my case. If my love of horses and my desire to ride has survived discovering boys and going to college and getting married and having a job; then I simply don't see this aspect of my life disappearing. I may make a decision to only ride once or twice a week in lessons for awhile for everyone's sanity but I do think I'll own a horse again. My non-horsey friends don't understand the appeal and just nod and say "oh, but wait until the baby comes, then you'll feel differently." My horsey friends also just nod and say "oh, but wait until the baby comes, then you'll feel differently." This happens until I want to scream!

But then I take a deep breath and go to my happy place-a cosy stall on a crisp fall afternoon with a happy horse eating hay-and I remember that I get to choose how to spend my free time. Which only leads me back again to considering my next horse.

Next time I would like a horse who is not as spooky. I don't like spooking in general, but legitimately scary things (not, for example, a shadow) happen in the world and I accept that. I would like a horse who just needs to look at something for a moment and then can continue on. I want a horse who is physically up to the work of lower-level dressage. I would like a horse that has a higher level of training than I do (given that I was just about up to first level work this doesn't seem unobtainable on my budget). Oh, and I'd like a horse that I can afford to keep. Something with good, strong feet who stands politely for the farrier. A horse that is great for the vet and enjoys the grooming process. I'd like smooth gaits that are easy for me to sit. I want a horse that enjoys his/her job. And I want a horse that likes spending time with me.

Oh yes, and I want it all within my budget!

But, in the meantime, I'll settle for books and magazines and the internet. And, next spring, an understanding trainer with solid school horses.

3 comments:

  1. How are you feeling? I think it's a great idea to hold off on horse purchase but I firmly believe you need and deserve horse time. I think the new barnies would be thrilled to get such a call. I know I would, even from someone I'd only seen once or twice in the car park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. I know a lady who has a gorgeous OTTB. She was pretty inconsistent with him the first year because she had young kids, but now that the youngest is in preschool, she's out quite regularly. She's proof that 1) a horse won't die if he has some days off and 2) you can do it with kids. So, go for it!

    I'm addicted to the sale ads, too. No kids here, but definitely no time for a second horse either. ;-) If you lived closer, you'd be welcome to come play with my pony...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just found your blog and wanted to say hi, from one pregnant rider to another! I am due March 2nd...when are you due? I faced the same decision, had my horse up for sale for two months, but she didn't sell, even at a ridiculously low price, so I've decided to keep her for now, and I'm going to find groundwork to do with her until the baby is born as I don't want to risk the baby by riding.

    I'm worried about fitting in riding and everything along with a baby...but we'll see. Who knows, I may end up selling my horse...but right now I need her in my life, even if I have to drive 16 hours to get her!

    ReplyDelete


ya'll come back now, ya hear?