13 February 2009

I Want Money, Lots and Lots of Money

Oh yeah, that's the theme song to my mare's life at the moment. Sadly, riding is not going to happen anytime very soon. My apologies if this note is rather incoherent as I'm exhausted mentally but I wanted to let you all know how it went. The results are mixed. The orthopedic vet came this morning and looked at my mare but I arrived at the barn just after she left as I was running late. I called and talked to her and she said the mare is still very sore and she wants to do more injections. Actually her exact words were "I'd like to inject everything.". So on Monday we're injecting "everything". And then we'll see what we've got. I'm still not sure how much pain Wanda is in. She's so stoic so it's really hard for me to tell. And she still doesn't enjoy being touched on lots of her body. When I palpate her she's not as reactive so I cannot tell how much is that she's putting up with pain for me and how much is her being a drama queen for other people. I know she DOES have pain, I'm just having a hard time figuring out how much. The dentist also came today and got a couple of really good x-rays of her upper teeth and the lump on her face. He noted that today her blood vessels were much more pronounced on the affected (right) side of her face which is different from a week and a half ago. He's going to get a couple of consults but he thinks the tooth will probably have to come out. He was quite surprised she hasn't been symptomatic and is still eating given the level of inflammation and infection. I explained that she thinks she's Mike Tyson when it comes to pain! The great news is that I finally have something concrete that we can DO something about. Something that will significantly improve her pain level. The horrible news is that it's not even March yet and by the end of the month or beginning of next month I will have spent more on vet bills than I spent buying the horse. I continue to be so grateful to my husband who gave up his vacation last year so that we could buy a saddle and is giving vacation up again this year to pay for vet treatments. Internet, may you all have spouses as generous.

2 comments:

  1. Oh very sorry top hear this news. Wanda is fortunate to have you to take her seriously with her issues.
    My husband is pretty generous with my horse passions, as well.
    It has not turned to debt yet, I pray not!
    Glad, as you are, for the concrete direction finally.
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so stressful -- I hope you are keeping spirits up.

    ReplyDelete


ya'll come back now, ya hear?