11 December 2008

my timing, who has it?

Do you have my timing? Cause I sure don't! Now to be fair to msyelf, it *is* getting better. I am improving. I had a great ride on Wednesday. I would not have recognized Wanda. She felt so different under me (my trainer has been riding her while I was sick). She was light and balanced and I was able to feel the canter that my trainer has been trying to get us into. I've been really struggling with getting her to slow down but to keep going forward. I was also able to move her haunches over for a few steps, straighten her out, and then move her shoulders over, etc. She was like driving a slinky. It was awesome! So stretchy and fun. Basically, Wanda did great! Lisa and I worked a lot on my timing. I'm trying to get the feel of doing a half halt followed quickly-like in the same breath-by a transition. It already feels to me as if I'm doing them simultaneously but Lisa tells me there's a large gap. It'll get better the more I do it. However, in the meantime, if you happen to see my timing will you please fax it over?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I feel like you're my long lost twin or something. I read your training log in the last post and I went throught the same stages with *my* instructor. The period leading up to *our* Feb 28th instance where my instructor rode Sophie and I tried to reconcile my views with my instructor's. I'm a little more a mix of French/German in my methods I think, and my instructor is more German.

    I feel like I'm doing half halts all the time. I'm surprised Sophie doesn't just block them out like noise or something. Good luck getting your timing back though, I'm sure I need help with mine, but Sophie's still improving, so I'm still happy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling the same way about you *grin*. We're doing half halts every couple of steps to help Wanda rebalance and I'm always surprised she doesn't tune them out as white noise as well! I keep reminding myself that as she gets stronger and more balanced I'll have to do less to keep her there but right now I feel like I'm the loudest rider on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Timing is like searching for the lost chord. It is always just about within reach. I find I am way too fast in expectations or way too slow in corrections, consistently. Well at least something is consistent about my riding.

    ReplyDelete


ya'll come back now, ya hear?